A curious blend of salads here, a hybrid of two of salad-loving Jamie Oliver’s recipes: the Mad Dog salad from Jamie’s America and cheese and onion salad from Jamie at Home. I love meals like this: every forkful brings new delights. Crunchy, chewy, fresh and wholesome. Go get some.
Pick and mix salad:
2 avocados, de-stoned and cut into pieces
A swig of pumpkin seed oil
A big bag of plain tortilla chips
100g cheddar, grated
Small handful of pumpkin seeds
Small handful of pine nuts
1 large romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
2 red onions, sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
White wine vinegar
200g feta, diced
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Put the avocado on a baking tray and splash with pumpkin oil. Add a little salt and pepper and roast for 15 minutes.
- Scatter the tortillas in one layer on a baking sheet and toss over the cheddar, pumpkin seeds and pine nuts. After the avocados have had 10 minutes, pop this lot in the oven for the remaining 5 minutes.
- Cover the onion in white wine vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- Toss the feta and romaine together. Scrunch the onion up with your hand and add this to the lettuce mix. Dress all of it with oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Scatter some tortillas on the bottom of a plate, add some salad and poke some pieces of avocado in there. Grab a final handful of tortillas, nuts and seeds, crush them a little with your hand and sprinkle over the salad.