roasted vegetable chilli with parmesan wedges
Those lovely people at Vouchercodes.co.uk asked me to come up with a family-friendly money-saving recipe. Just for them I made roasted vegetable chilli with parmesan wedges. They filmed it to boot. Watch the whole recipe below on YouTube:
Fun fact: I wasn’t going to make wedges, it was supposed to be polenta fingers. Unfortunately the wrong ingredients were delivered! Disaster. A quick rummage around the store cupboard and I settled on (what else) potatoes instead.
My full recipe is below:
- For the chilli:
- 3 courgettes
- 1 heaped teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 heaped teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red onion
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 2 red peppers
- 1 rounded teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tin kidney beans
- For the rice:
- 300g long-grain rice
- 1 tin coconut milk
- For the wedges:
- 4 baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- To serve:
- 1 lime
- 300ml creme fraiche
- First the veg prep: peel and quarter the onion, thickly slice the courgette, half the peppers and deseed, and quarter the lime. Cut the potatoes into wedges.
- Get a large casserole dish over a low heat, the oven on to 180C, and a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Lay the wedges in a single layer on a baking tray. Scatter over half the parmesan with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Put the fennel seeds, cumin seeds, garlic and onion into the food processor with a pinch of salt and whizz to a paste, then add the tomatoes to blitz further. Add to the large casserole pan. Add the paprika and chilli powder.
- Add the courgettes and peppers to the baking tray, season with salt, pepper and oil and put in the oven for 20 minutes until softened.
- In the saucepan, dry fry the cumin seeds for a minute to get nice and aromatic, then add the kidney beans and their juices. Allow this to simmer away. After 5 minutes add it to the tomato pan.
- Wipe out the kidney bean pan and add the rice and coconut milk. Simmer until the rice is tender, then leave covered until needed.
- 5 minutes before they're done, scatter the remaining parmesan over the potatoes and allow to crisp.
- Roughly chop the griddled veg and also add to the tomato pan.
- Check the chilli for seasoning and then serve with rice, potatoes, lime wedges and a blob of creme fraiche.