sausage and broccoli penne
This is one that swilled around my head for a while until coming together. It’s a hybrid of ideas from a recent appearance of Theo Randall on Saturday Kitchen and a Jamie Oliver 30 minute meal.
The most satisfying part of this is using the part of the broccoli you usually throw away, the stalk. Whizzed up and fried it’s as tasty as it’s flowery florets. Mixed with sausage and cream it’s almost rich. Whouda thunk it, broccoli being rich?! Make sure you’re generous with the chilli to balance it all out.
While I ate it I thought pine nuts would be great with this – must try it next time.
Sausage & broccoli penne (serves 2):
2 rashers bacon, sliced
1 head of broccoli
4 sausages, skinned
Big pinch of chilli flakes
2 cloves garlic
50ml double cream
Handful of parmesan
- Heat a little oil in a pan and add the bacon. Get a large pot of water on to boil.
- In a food processor blitz the broccoli to crumbs with the anchovy. Drop in the sausages and add a trickle of olive oil to make a paste.
- Add the paste to the bacon in the pan and stir fry for a few minutes. Crush in the garlic and get the pasta on to boil.
- After the pasta has cooked for about 5 minutes, add the broccoli florets and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Turn the heat down low and add the cream and parmesan, stirring well to combine. Add the drained pasta and broccoli and if necessary let it down with a little of the pasta water. When mixed nicely and all slick and creamy, check seasoning and serve with more parmesan.