potato and mushroom gratin
When it’s comfort food I’m after, only one chef matters: Nigella Lawson. The divine godess of punchy flavourful food with a smirk never fails to deliver. In this recipe from Nigella Express
my old chum chestnut mushrooms are sliced wafer thin and nestled in layers of potato, with creamy garlicky sauce running throughout. A hearty side-dish that goes well with grilled meats and fleshy greens.
Potato and mushroom gratin
- 250 g mushrooms thinly sliced
- 3 baking potatoes thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic oil
- 350 ml full fat milk
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Bring the wine and milk to the boil in a lrge pan and add the potatoes. Stir occasionally and season.
- Fry the mushrooms in the garlic oil until tender. Add these to the potato mix.
- Tip into a casserole dish and bake for 45 mins until the bubbly and browned.